2011 International Conference on Environmental Enrichment (ICEE)
ICEE is a meeting for the exchange of ideas about both theoretical and applied research on enrichment for animals in captivity. This year it is being hosted by the Oregon Zoo and the Oregon National Primate Research Center. This combination of the zoo and laboratory communities will bring together caretakers, researchers, and veterinarians of differing backgrounds, but with a similar goal; providing for the well being of the animals in their care. Both the zoo and research communities have much to offer each other, and this conference offers a unique "meeting of the minds".
We are pleased to announce that our Keynote Speaker is Dr. Joy Mench, Professor in the Department of Animal Science and the Director of the Center for Animal Welfare at the University of California, Davis. The title of her talk is: Going with the flow: Enhancing welfare by giving animals challenges that match their skills
Other Featured Speakers include:
- Dr. Jill Mellen, Disney Disney's Animal Kingdom: Evolution of Environmental Enrichment: A 20-Year Review
- Dr. Carrie Hanna, Oregon National Primate Research Center Environmental Enrichment for Research Animals: Why investigators should care
- Dr. Kathy Carlstead, Hololulu Zoo: What is Animal Welfare (and the Role of Enrichment)
- Dr. Richard P. Reading, Denver Zoological Foundation, The Value of Enrichment to Reintroduction Success
- Dr. Mollie Bloomsmith, Yerkes National Primate Research Center, TBA We are also planning several symposia, workshops and round table discussions, including
- Behavioral management of laboratory nonhuman primates: Improving well-being by integrating science into daily management
- Personality and environmental enrichment
- Building Enriched Environments through Design Collaboration
- The Enrichment Challenge: A Design Workshop
Early registration ($350) has been held over to July 8th. After that date, the price increases to $400 ($450 onsite).
The conference will kick off on Sunday evening, August 14, 2011, with an Ice Breaker at the Benson Hotel. Registration includes continental breakfasts and coffee breaks for all conference days, as well as admission to the Ice Breaker, Closing Banquet, BBQ at the Oregon National Primate Research Center, and Zoo Day at the Oregon Zoo.
The conference will be held at the Benson Hotel, in Portland Oregon USA, 14-19 August 2011. The Benson, a four star hotel in the heart of Downtown Portland, is offering a special rate of $149 per night for conference attendees. This price will be honored until July 13, 2011.
CEU credits for AALAS and CVTs are available!
For more information, see the ICEE website, or contact the ICEE hosts at email@example.com